Opportunities to lead a legendary radio news team are rare. Today, that opportunity awaits you at 590 VOCM in St. John’s, NL. As News Director you’ll oversee a radio newsroom unlike any other. VOCM serves the capital city as well as communities across Newfoundland and Labrador. VOCM speaks to the province with award-winning coverage. Beyond the scope of the transmitter, VOCM.com is one of the most-visited radio websites in Canada. VOCM.com is a natural extension of our newsroom, and overseeing it will be a key part of the News Director’s role. We are looking for a collaborative and dynamic individual to join our team, with a proven track record of newsroom leadership, talent development, innovative thinking, and management. If you would like to take the reins of this legendary news brand, and lead it into an exciting new digital future, we’d like to talk to you.
- Supervise and direct desk and field reporters and news anchors in carrying out the news policy, assignments and goals of the VOCM Newsroom with timeliness and consistency in a deadline driven environment.
- Responsible for all content that goes to air and online.
- Strong reporting and writing ability.
- Review previous reporting and newscasts for critique of writing, style and news content.
- Coordinate News Department needs and opportunities with other departments.
- Seek out contacts with individuals and groups in the community to determine their news needs and interests.
- Mentor, coach and guide the growth and development of members of the news team, creating a positive and enthusiastic climate.
- Meet with individual staff members to evaluate and improve performance and professionalism.
- Positively represent our company in the community and the industry. This leader must be highly involved in the community, attending community events as required, either in a news capacity, or as a company representative.
- Other duties as assigned, which could include some on-air duties
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees in conjunction with the General Manager; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance Work with the General Manager in providing input to annual budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or diploma from a recognized broadcast school is desirable, but depending on experience, not a definite requirement.
- Minimum of 5 years newsroom experience.
- Possess superior leadership and communication skills
If you are looking for an exceptional workplace and have what it takes to fill this position:
- Complete the following Employment Equity Self-Identification Form: www.stingray.com/employment-equity-survey
- And then send us your resume to email@example.com
Submissions deadline: July 30th, 2021
Stingray Radio supports the principles of Employment Equity is committed to ensuring our workforce is representative of the communities we serve. Women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and visible minorities are encouraged to apply and to self-identify so we can work towards full representation of those groups within our company.
Stingray Radio requires all applicants to be legally eligible to work in Canada without sponsorship.
Not the job for you? Check out our Careers page to consult other available positions and learn more about Stingray. We’re always on the lookout for new talent.